Divorce is more complicated if one (or both) of the spouses are in the military. Additional state laws, federal laws and military codes create a complex situation for you. Forrest Family Law is well experienced with military divorce. We understand how federal and military laws divide pensions, health insurance, properties, and your pay – National Defense Authorization Act. We also understand that North Carolina State laws determine issues like child custody, debt and child support. To protect you, your children and your finances it is critical to hire a law firm like Forrest Family Law that understands both.
We know that if you are in the military, you have access to free legal services, but we STRONGLY recommend you meet with a civilian attorney. Base Legal is not licensed to give you legal advice. They typically will give you a form that catalogues your situation into a one-size-fits-all solution. If you do see an attorney on base, most military lawyers are not familiar with the state of North Carolina’s divorce laws. Forrest Family Law and Katherine Forrest has extensive experience with military divorce and we treat each case uniquely and will prepare a tailored plan to your specific circumstances.
Here are several examples of common mistakes we find when you only consult Base Legal and do not consult a civilian attorney licensed in North Carolina:
- Incorrect requirements (contrary to NC State law) for who pays alimony, for how long and for how much.
- Incorrect requirements (contrary to NC State law) for how long child support is required.
- Incorrect information regarding VA Benefits. VA Benefits cannot be divided between spouses. BUT VA Benefits will be considered income for Post Separation Support, Alimony and Child Support.
- Incorrect requirements (contrary to NC State law) for college expenses. College expenses are not required to be paid by ANYONE in North Carolina.
We are also well versed in unique military/government benefits such as:
- Unearned Leave Days
- Survivor Benefit Plan
- Life Insurance
- Health Insurance (TriCare)
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)